Sen. Joe Negron says the latest legal setback for personal injury protection has him thinking about a plan to eliminate the PIP system in favor of mandatory bodily injury coverage. File photo by John Iarussi.
A Leon County judge struck down parts of new law designed to lower costs and root out fraud in personal injury protection (PIP) claims on Wednesday, potentially pushing lawmakers to get rid of Florida’s no-fault system.
Sen. Joe Negron, R-Stuart, who sponsored the Senate version of last year’s HB 119, said Judge Terry Lewis’s temporary injunction striking down a $2,500 cap on non-emergency care and a 14-day deadline for treatment have him thinking about a plan to eliminate the PIP system in favor of mandatory bodily injury coverage. That idea was first floated by Sen. David Simmons, R-Maitland.
This brief has been archived. The entire brief is available exclusively to LobbyTools subscribers.
Already a subscriber? Login, or call 850-915-0100 ext. 1 for customer support.